What is Sex Therapy?
Sex therapy is a specialized type of psychotherapy — a general term for treating mental health problems by talking with a mental health professional. Through sex therapy, you can address concerns about sexual function, sexual feelings and intimacy, either in individual therapy or couples or family therapy. Sex therapy can be effective for individuals of any age, gender or sexual orientation. General Therapy and sex therapy are very similar. The difference is that someone who specializes in human sexuality in the field of therapy is specifically trained in areas of function, intimacy, gender, kink, orientation, and other nuances in the sexuality field.
What Specialty Areas Can a Trained Sex Therapy Address?
Sex therapy can help you resolve various sexual issues, from concerns about sexual functioning to difficulties in your sexual relationship. Through sex therapy, you may focus on issues such as:
- BDSM and Kink education and support
- Gender Exploration and Disassociation
- Concerns about sexual desire or arousal
- Body Dysmorphic Disorder
- Non-traditional Sexual Exploration including External Elements/Toys
- Concerns about sexual interests or sexual orientation
- Impulsive or compulsive sexual behavior
- Erectile functioning concerns
- Ejaculating early (premature ejaculation)
- Difficulty with sexual arousal
- Trouble reaching orgasm (anorgasmia)
- Painful intercourse (dyspareunia)
- Reproductive support and concern
- Intimacy issues and general navigation related to a disability or chronic condition
- Discussing Sex and Sexuality with children and adolescents
- Concerns regarding past unwanted sexual experiences and trauma